To be eligible for admission to Miami Dade College and the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, you must complete the following steps:
- You are 18 years old and have earned, or will earn at the time of enrollment into the program, a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (GED).
- If this is your initial enrollment at Miami Dade College or you have not been enrolled at Miami Dade College during the past 12 months, complete the Application Packet available from the Admission Office’s on any of the seven MDC Campuses. Choose the Medical Campus as the "preferred" campus; be sure to enter "23035" under "Program Code."
- With the exception of students who meet the criteria for an exemption from common placement testing and developmental education instruction, entry-level testing is required for first-time-in-college (FTIC) degree seeking students and students who have not met college level competency in reading, writing and math through previous coursework. In order to enroll in the Physical Therapist Assistant program, students’ recommended placement, as outlined in the College’s Placement Criteria Document, must indicate college level competency. Students who need to take the placement test should schedule the PERT exam through Testing Services, Room 1303, Medical Campus, 305-237-4275. We recommend students sign up at least one month in advance of taking the test and the application deadline in order to allow sufficient time to prepare for placement exam.
- Complete the Program Application process by submitting an application for Program Admission and an application fee for the $25.00 application fee. Application must be received by September 1st for January entry.
- Enroll in and successfully complete HSC 0003 – Introduction to Health Care prior to applying to the program.
- Earn a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of a least 2.0 on a scale of 4.0 on any college-level courses you have taken.
- Complete of a minimum of 25 observation hours with a licensed Physical Therapist or Physical Therapist Assistant. We recommend students complete these hours at a hospital or private practice. The Observation Hours Form must be completed and included with your application by September 1st.
Where Do I Send My Application Materials?
You may send or drop off your MDC application to any admissions office located on any of the seven campuses or two centers of Miami Dade College. Applications for admission may also be filled out on line at http://www.mdc.edu.
You must also send the following:
- MDC application fee ($20.00 check or money order - no cash)
- Official high school transcript and official college transcripts (if available) to the Registrar
- Observation Hours Form
Where Do I Send My Program Application Materials?
Send or drop off your Application for Program Admission, professional documentation, and an unofficial copy of your college transcript to the address below:
Miami Dade College
New Student Center, Room 1113
950 N.W. 20th Street
Miami, FL 33127