Office of Fire and Security Systems (OFSS)
Under the supervision of the Division of Emergency Management, the mission of the Office of Fire & Security Systems (OFSS), is responsible for all aspects of Miami Dade College (MDC) life safety and fire protection in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws. OFSS is also responsible for all Security Systems college-wide that includes: Access Control Management, Emergency/Mass Notification System, and Surveillance Video Systems.
- Life Safety
- Access Control Systems
- Surveillance Video Systems
New Projects & Construction
OFSS manages MDC’s Design Criteria Division 8 and 28 of all new construction, renovation, and/or facilities improvement projects. Moreover, all new projects are reviewed by the Emergency Management Department to comply with State Requirement for Education Facilities (SREF) and Florida Safe School Design, known as Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED).
How to Get Your MDC ID/Access Card
The Access Card/Key Request form will initiate the review and approval process.
Employee ID/Access Card User Terms and Agreement
The following conditions apply to the use of an MDCard/Access Card:
- Do not punch holes in the access card to avoid damage to the card.
- The card may not be used by a person other than the person to whom it is issued.
- The card remains the property of MDC and must be returned to human resources office/public safety at the time of resignation or termination of employment.
- The cardholder accepts responsibility for college property issued against the card; and agrees to meet the terms and conditions applying to the issue of that property.
- If a card is lost, stolen, or damaged, the lost or damage card must be reported to the local Public Safety Office immediately or as soon as possible after the cardholder becomes aware of the lost or damaged card. (The Public Safety Office is responsible for completing a lost or stolen property report prior to being issued a new MDCard/Access Card.)
- For a replacement, please complete the Employee Access Card Replacement Form and pay the $25.00 fee at the campus Bursar’s Office. Once the Bursar acknowledges payment and provides receipt, bring both documents to the Public Safety office to obtain your new Access Card.
The MDCard must be worn and visible with the cardholder at all times while on College campuses, and produced upon request of any authorized official.
In case the Access Card stops working, please notify the Department of Emergency Management, Office of Fire and Security Systems at extension 7-2511, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In case an MDCard/Access Card is found, return it immediately to any Public Safety Office.
How to Use Your Card
- Card Swipe: A single swipe will allow momentarily unlock the door for about 8 seconds, and it will re-lock after that time.
- Double Swipe: Allows the authorized user to unlock the door indefinitely. Use the access card and swipe twice in front of a card reader with an interval of one or two seconds between swipes. To secure the door or space when classes/activities are finished, the same procedure will be necessary to re-lock the door.