Apply for Loans
There are three primary types of federal loans you can apply for. Each has unique features, so be sure to study and understand the loan types before applying.
Stafford Loan | Perkins Loan | PLUS Loan | Alternative/Private Loans
Stafford Loan ^Top
Complete the following steps in order to apply for a federal direct Stafford subsidized/unsubsidized loan:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Complete the Loan Entrance Counseling. This federally mandated requirement is for your understanding of the borrower rights and responsibilities when borrowing Federal Direct Stafford Loans.
Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the Department. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). You will be required to use your Department of Education-issued PIN. If you do not have a PIN, you may request one. A parent borrower must also request a PIN number from the PIN website to use when completing a PLUS MPN. Your Federal Direct Stafford Loan(s) will not be disbursed until these requirements have been successfully met.
- Complete the Federal Direct Loan Request.
- Students must be enrolled and attending at least half time (6 credits or more credits) to be eligible.
- Disbursements will not be made unless the student has at least six eligible credits and after 100 percent refund date of the courses enrolled.
- First time borrowers will not receive disbursement until 30 days after the first day of class.
Perkins Loan ^Top
- Complete/submit the Perkins Loan Request and Personal and Confidential information form on line (provide two person references)
- Complete the Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note (Do not sign MPN. All MPN must be sign in the presence of a Financial Aid staff member)
- Provide a copy of the Driver's License and Social Security Card to the financial aid office
- Complete the Perkins Entrance Counseling at "Mapping Your Future Perkins Loan Entrance Interview" and submit the Confirmation page to the Financial Aid Office.
PLUS Loan ^Top
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): The student must complete the FAFSA prior to requesting a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan.
- Complete the mandatory credit check for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan: The parent must pass a mandatory credit check performed by the Direct Loan Servicing Center. MDC is not responsible for the decision made by the Federal Government.
- Sign a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) electronically using the PIN assigned to the parent borrower (same PIN as the one used to sign the FAFSA). If the borrower does not have a PIN, one can be requested. NOTE: If you have previously signed a Federal Direct Parent PLUS MPN, you do not have to sign another MPN.
- Complete the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request Form.
- Submit all required documentation to your campus Financial Aid Office:
- Credit approval notice
- Copy of yours/and your parents' driver licenses, social security cards
- If you and/or the parent are eligible non-U.S. citizen, you must submit a copy of your Immigration documents.
- Signed Federal Direct PLUS Loan request form.
Alternative/Private Loans ^Top
Miami Dade College certifies alternative/private loans for International Students, or students in "high cost" educational programs (i.e. Aviation-Pilot Technology, Physicians Assistant, etc). Learn more about these types of loans.