The EDGE (Empowered Dreams Gain Economic mobility) program at Miami Dade College is designed to help students obtain the tools they need to join the workforce in a high-demand, high-wage field.
Enrolled students will be supported to ensure they are taking courses that prepare them for the jobs of tomorrow, while responding to the needs of employers in our community. Through this program, students will receive tuition assistance, mentorship opportunities, access to internships, and dedicated advisors who will help them navigate the college experience. They will also work with MDC Works, our career studio, to enhance their resumes, conduct mock interviews, apply for jobs and, ultimately, find employment.
This program is designed to help students obtain a job upon graduation. Those applying for this scholarship opportunity should bear in mind that they will be expected to use their degree to seek employment upon graduation.
The EDGE scholarship covers
- (1) eligible workforce MDC College Credit Certificate (CCC) program.
- Tuition and fees (at FL Residency: In-State tuition rate)
- $250 Book Stipend (part-time student 11 credits or less)
- $500 Book Stipend (full-time student 12 credits and above)
- On-the-job training experience and career development workshops.
Learn Critical Skills from our MDC Works Career Studio
Our partnership with MDC Works Career Studio allows you to:
- Enhance your resume
- Conduct mock interviews
- Apply for internships
- find employment
- Available professional development resources
- Consultations with our MDC Works Career Coaches
Who is Eligible?
- High School graduates who have earned a standard high school diploma, GED, or home school diploma with a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- New or returning students with a college GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Enrolled in an eligible workforce MDC College Credit Certificate (CCC) program.
Eligible Workforce Programs
School of Global Business:
School of Culinary/Hospitality:
School of Health Sciences:
School of Aviation:
School of Justice, Public Safety and Law Studies:
Career Technical Certificate (C.T.E./V.C.C.)
Eligibility Criteria (Continued)
- Standard high school diploma, GED, or home school diploma (Students obtaining a standard high school diploma through Florida Virtual School will be accepted if they reside in Miami-Dade County).
- Must have a cumulative high school weighted GPA of 2.5 or above. Students without a GPA on their transcripts (e.g., home schooled) must earn the diploma during and meet minimum test scores
- Must be admitted to MDC and registered for 9 or more credits for the Fall or Spring semesters (Including Summer term)
- Provide evidence of completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are unable to complete a FAFSA application, please complete the Expected Family Contribution Calculator. Email the results to your campus Financial Aid office.
- You must prove College Readiness by meeting one of the two criteria listed below:
Option 1: Achieve minimum test scores on approved standardized tests. Any combination of the highest available scores is used in determining your readiness in a skill area. Scores within a two-year period of the test date are considered valid for eligibility purposes. Expired scores will not be used.
Option 2: Have a cumulative high school weighted GPA of 2.5 or greater.
Maintaining Eligibility (Terms & Conditions)
Students admitted in the EDGE program will need to maintain program eligibility requirements to sustain their scholarship. These requirements include:
- Must attend (In-Person) EDGE Programs’ Welcoming Orientation.
- Satisfactory progress towards your selective CCC program and a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (or higher) by the end of each semester.
- Must be enrolled each term with a minimum of 9 credits (Preferably full-time Student)
- Annual completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Complete their chosen CCC workforce program within 1 year (Must have an assigned Academic Advisor & My Academic Plan)
- Register with Handshake and take advantage of our MDC Works career studio’s career coaches, trainings, and services.
- Must complete a minimum of (4) MDC Learning Resources skill-shops and/or tutoring (per semester) during their time in the program.
- Mandatory to attend, participate, and engage in Bank of America & PepsiCo’s (EDGE’s funding partners) professional and career readiness workshops.
Deadline: 3 weeks before each term.
View academic calendar.
Students having challenges showing or meeting college readiness requirements should contact:
EDGE Grant Manager
This opportunity is made possible through financial support from Bank of America and PepsiCo Foundation.