Our four-year program provides you with the fundamental knowledge and skills that position you for a career in the biotechnology field.
All students wishing to seek admissions to the Bachelor in Science with a major in Biological Sciences program are encouraged to contact the School of Science to schedule an appointment with an advisor at 305-237-1101 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- New students must apply for admissions to Miami Dade College ($30 application fee).
- MDC graduates may apply for re-admission to MDC (no fee).
- Students must also apply for admission to the Bachelor of Science program with a completed application and supporting documentation (there will be a $25 fee once the student is admitted into the program).
- Required: An Associate in Science (A.S.) in Biotechnology or Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree from a regionally accredited institution
- A minimum of 60 semester hours from a regionally accredited institution including a minimum of 16 semester hours of the Common Pre-requisites applicable to the program, ENC 1101 or its equivalent, and MAC 1105 or higher
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- A minimum of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale in natural science courses
Note: Common Prerequisites necessary for program admission should be earned within 10 years of admission to the baccalaureate degree. If these credits are more than 10 years old, students must consult an academic advisor within the School of Science.
Completion of required pre-requisite coursework prior to admission to the program
- BSC2010/L – Majors Biology I with lab (4-5 credits)
- BSC2011/L – Majors Biology II with lab (4-5 credits)
- CHM1045/L – Majors Chemistry I with lab (4-5 credits)
- CHM1046/L – Majors Chemistry II with lab (4-5 credits)
- CHM2210/L – Organic Chemistry I with lab (4-5 credits)
- CHM2211/L – Organic Chemistry II with lab (4-5 credits)
- MAC2241 – Life Science Calculus (3 credits) or MAC 2311 – Calculus (5 credits)
- STA2023 - Statistical Methods (3 credits) or MAC2312 - Calculus and Analytic Geometry II (4 credits)
Students entering with an A.S. in Biotechnology degree may have more than 24 Elective credits and may need additional General Education credits to meet the 36 General Education credits required for the baccalaureate degree. Students entering with an A.A. or an A.S. in Biotechnology degree may need additional electives to provide appropriate background for the baccalaureate degree (i.e., state-mandated Common Prerequisites or Lower Division program requirements).