Prohibited Items in Testing
The following items are prohibited while taking a test administered by the Testing and Assessment Department at Miami Dade College (MDC) and by MDC students taking tests at other institutions or on a remote basis via a technology supported online proctoring service. In addition to the following items, the College reserves the right to exclude other items as appropriate.
- Books, dictionaries, notes/papers, published materials or other testing aids (including calculators) unless previously authorized by the instructor or the exam sponsor.
- Language translators and spell checkers unless authorized by exam sponsor.
- Mechanical pencils, mechanical erasers and erasers with sleeves, rulers, and protractors unless previously authorized.
- Highlighters, ink pens, felt-tip markers, colored pens or pencils, and correction fluid/tape.
- Earplugs, earmuffs, and headphones of any kind unless provided by the testing center.
- Hats and other non-religious head coverings (headgear). Hair clips, hair ties and rubber bands (unless being worn in hair).
- No animals may be brought onto College property, including testing areas, except for Service Animals, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), that provide assistance to individuals with disabilities. Refer to Policy V-35 - Animal on Campus and ADA Requirements on Service Animals from the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, and Disability Rights Section.
- Sunglasses and any reading/sunglass cases and sleeves.
- Listening devices, unless medically approved for the hearing impaired, cellular phones, paging devices, hand-held computers/personal digital assistants (PDA) or other electronic devices, watches (including digital, analogue), timers, and fitness trackers.
- Recording or photographic equipment (any type of camera).
- Coats, jackets, and outerwear that are permitted to be worn in the test room must continue to be worn at all times. Removed clothing must be stored in the locker provided during check-in. All items will be inspected prior to entering the testing room.
- Tobacco or tobacco products (in any form), alcoholic beverages, illicit drugs, and any other substance, including e-cigarette devices and paraphernalia of any kind.
- Firearms and weapons of any kind, as per College Policy I-42 Prohibition of Weapons on Campus and Florida statutes.
- All beverages (including water bottles), food, candy and gum (unless necessary for medical reasons – ACCESS Department statement required for MDC assessments).
- Briefcases, purses, handbags, backpacks, and bags of any kind.
- Jewelry that is removable and larger than 1/4 inch (1/2 centimeter) wide.
- Contents of all pockets (including wallets).
- Examinees will be asked to put all items in a locker prior to entering the testing room. All electronic devices must be turned off while in the designated secure area. Examinees will NOT have access to any stored items during the exam. If the examinee is unable to adhere to this requirement, he or she will be asked to reschedule to a time when they are able to comply with all Testing and Assessment Department rules and the testing fees will not be refunded.
- The use of any medical device, such as an asthma inhaler or insulin pump, within the examination room will be inspected by authorized test center personnel prior to entering the testing room.
- Any electronic device is subject to inspection and approval by authorized test center personnel.
- If, at the rest break, an examinee needs to access a personal item, such as an item needed to take a restroom break, this is allowed. However, if the examinee accesses any other prohibited item from the secure area, his or her test will be invalidated, and the testing fees will not be refunded. If the examinee accesses, checks, or turns on a cell phone at any time during the testing session (including during a break), the test will be invalidated, and the testing fees will not be refunded.
- Examinees will be asked to turn out pockets, remove coat/jacket, pat themselves down, roll up sleeves, and pant legs prior to entering the testing room.
- Only examinees who are testing are allowed in the testing room or the testing center reception area.
- Exam guidelines for test program sponsor may supersede the items referenced above.
- Miami Dade College is not responsible for any personal belongings left in a testing locker, lost, stolen, or misplaced.
Academic Leadership Council on 01/13/2020
Student Deans Council on 11/14/ 2019
CASSC Research & Testing on 12/03/2018
Updated on 02/24/2023