Performing Arts and Industries
- Music Diploma with Honors from Humber College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Bachelor of Music (Studio Music and Jazz) from the University of Miami
- Master of Music (Jazz Performance) from Florida International University
Dan McGovern is a professional drummer with over 25 years of performing, recording, and teaching experience. His career has included work with a vast array of musicians playing in fields of jazz, rock, funk, Latin, and Gospel music. Along with countless club dates and corporate work, he has performed with Argentinian folk legend Nito Mestre, Latin Grammy Award winner Angel Lopez, multiple award winning composer Scott Routenberg, and local legends such as Mitch Farber, Matt Bonelli, Brian Murphy, Mike Gerber, and Bobby "Soul Man" Stringer. He has performed for the Hilton Head Jazz Society (South Carolina), Gainesville Friends of Jazz and Blues, The NEMO Music Conference (Boston), and the North by Northeast Festival (Toronto).
Dan holds a Master of Music Degree in Performance from Florida International University (where he was the graduate teaching assistant), along with a Bachelor’s Degree in Studio Music and Jazz from the University of Miami. He has written 2 instructional books: "Rock On! - The Ultimate Guide for Beginning Drummers" and "Drumming for Kids".
Currently, Dan is a very busy teacher and performer in the South Florida music scene. He plays with numerous local groups including The Headliners and Trio DMA and is the house drummer for City Church in Homestead. He is also a member of the music faculty of Miami Dade College and a private drumming instructor at Music Depot in Florida City.
- Constance Weldon Award for performance and academics (University of Miami 2002)
- Avedis Zildjian Cymbals Scholarship (University of Miami 2002)
- Golden Key International Honor Society (University of Miami 2003)
- Fundamentals Music Theory (MUT 1001)
- Fundamental of Music Theory Lab (MUT 1003)
- Music Appreciation (MUL 1010)
- Jazz and Popular Music History (MUL 2380)
- Jazz Workshop (MUN 1710)
- Jazz Percussion Drum Set (MVJ 1019, MVJ 1319, MVJ 2329)