Performing Arts and Industries
James M. Broderick
- Bachelor of Music (Studio Music and Jazz Program in Trumpet Performance) from the University of Miami
- Master of Science (Higher Education Administration) from Florida International University with 18 graduate credits in music
Jim Broderick is the Chairman of the Music, Theater and Dance Department at the Kendall Campus of Miami Dade College. Before his appointment as Chairman, he was the Director of the Music/Humanities Lab and Music Department Electronic Classroom at the Kendall Campus from July 1993 until July of 2016. There, he was the driving force behind these state-of-the-art facilities, which support the curriculum of the Music, Theater and Dance department.
Jim remains active as an instructor and teaches music courses and directs the NightTime Jazz Band for the Music, Theater and Dance Department.
Jim is also skilled performing musician (trumpet), composer, and arranger. His experience includes five years in the United States Marine Corps band field, which included performances in jazz and classical settings, where he was often featured as a soloist in both areas. He performs at college events such as Arts and Letters Day, and departmental performances with both faculty and student ensembles, including the Faculty Jazz Ensemble, ensembles for special events, and the NightTime Jazz Band. Jim also appeared as a soloist with the All-Star Jazz Band for the Jazz Under The Stars Concert and can be seen performing locally with the Miami Wind Symphony and other ensembles.
Excellence awards 1998,1999, 2000, 2001 and 2004
- Music Theory 1 (MUT 1111)
- Sightsinging & Ear Training 1 (MUT 1241)
- Music Theory 2 (MUT 1112)
- Music Theory 3 (MUT 2116)
- Jazz and Popular Music History (MUL 2380)
- NightTime Jazz Band (MUN 2711/2712)
- Jazz Workshop (MUN 1710)
- Introduction to Jazz Improvisation 1 (MUT 2641)