Performing Arts and Industries
- Bachelor of Science in Music Education from Florida International University
- Master of Music in Vocal Performance from University of Miami
Highly sought after as a soloist, chamber artist, and educator, mezzo-soprano and conductor Misty Leah Bermudez has been praised for her "standout" performances and for the "dark sweetness" of her voice (South Florida Classical Review, Palm Beach Post). Residents of South Florida will recognize Ms. Bermudez as a founding member of Seraphic Fire, Miami's professional chamber ensemble. She has performed, recorded, and toured extensively with the ensemble and appears on both its Grammy-nominated albums.
After attending Miami's prestigious New World School of the Arts High School, Ms. Bermudez graduated Magna Cum Laude from Florida International University with a Bachelor of Science in Music Education. She holds the Master of Music Degree in Vocal Performance from the University of Miami, where she was a Smathers Fellowship recipient. She received awards of Excellence in Academic Achievement from both institutions.
A versatile vocalist, Ms. Bermudez has an active career as a concert soloist, chamber artist, and operatic actress. Solo concert engagements have included performances with Southwest Florida Symphony Orchestra, Opera Naples, San Antonio Symphony, The New World Symphony, The Back Bay Chorale in Boston, Master Chorale of South Florida, Tucson Symphony Orchestra, and Illuminarts in Miami. She has been a featured soloist in works such as Duruflé's Requiem, Monteverdi's Vespers, Handel's Messiah, Bach's Mass in B Minor, Mozart's Requiem, Haydn's Lord Nelson Mass, and Bach's St. John and St. Matthew Passions. No stranger to the stage, Ms. Bermudez has been featured in operatic offerings throughout South Florida, including operas by Mozart, Donizetti, Gilbert and Sullivan, Purcell, and Gounod. As a chamber artist, Ms. Bermudez has sung with the Grammy-winning ensemble Conspirare in Austin, Texas, Seraphic Fire, the Oregon Bach Festival, the Santa Fe Desert Chorale, Spire Chamber Ensemble in Kansas City, and the Yale Choral Artists.
Ms. Bermudez is on the Humanities and Music faculty of Miami Dade College, Kendall Campus, where she also serves as the Classical Voice Area Coordinator. Ms. Bermudez conducts the campus select choir, the MDC Kendall Chamber Singers, and actively recruits for the Performing Arts and Industries Department by developing strong relationships with area high school arts programs. Her students have been admitted to fine college music programs around the country with impressive scholarship awards. Ms. Bermudez served as a master teacher for the participants of the Professional Choral Institute, an initiative in 2011 and 2012 by Seraphic Fire, which aimed to educate talented pre-professional singers about the world of professional ensemble music. She was a panelist at Women's Choir Festival at FIU for the session "Paths to Careers in Music Leadership" with an emphasis on women's issues in March of 2017. In November of 2018, she was a guest coach with Seraphic Fire's Ensemble Artist Program at UCLA and is in demand as a visiting clinician for local high school music programs and for university music programs around the country. In May 2018, Ms. Bermudez became the first female Artistic Director of the Civic Chorale of Greater Miami in its 48-year history.
- Grammy Award Nomination, Best Small Ensemble, 2012, Seraphic Fire's Album "A Seraphic Fire Christmas"
- Grammy Award Nomination, Best Choral Performance, 2012, Seraphic Fire's Album "Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem"
- University of Miami Graduate School Award for Academic Merit
- Smathers Fellowship recipient, University of Miami, Graduate Degree
- FIU College of Arts and Sciences Award for Academic Excellence in Music
- Full scholarship recipient, FIU School of Music, Undergraduate Degree
- HUM 1020 (Humanities)
- MUN 2341 (Select College Choir)
- MUO 1501 (Opera Workshop)
- MVV 1011, 1311, 2321 (Applied Voice)
- MUL 1010 (Music Appreciation)
- MUT 1111 (Music Theory 1)
- MUT 1241 (Sight Singing & Ear Training 1)