- Apply to MDC using the college-wide application system. You need to declare a "pre-select" major while completing your prerequisites and general education requirements.
- Students who have taken courses outside of Miami Dade College need to send official and complete transcripts to MDC Transcript Processing Services. Students with a foreign degree will need to have a course-by-course evaluation by a NACES approved company. Additionally, those who graduated from an institution located in a country whose native language is not English will need to have a translation by an approved company, and passing TOEFL or IELTS scores in order to validate their foreign degree. Students who do not have the ability to have their foreign baccalaureate degrees posted to MDC must see an advisor at the Medical Campus to discuss their options. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 305-237-4141 for more information.
- Meet with an academic and career advisor at the Medical Campus who will help you identify what prerequisites you need and will develop a map of all the pre-requisites needed for admission to the program.
- Once you have completed your prerequisites, you will need to apply to the Benjamín León School of Nursing at the Medical Campus - New Student Center (room 1113).
- Students selected for admission will receive an acceptance email from the School of Nursing to their MyMDC email address (primary email address with the College).
Nursing Options, Program Length and Location Information
All nursing options require prerequisites to be completed. However, once students are accepted, students will take courses in cohorts in a lock-step format. Program lengths are as follows:
- Generic Full-time – 4 semesters
- Medical Campus, Homestead Campus and Baptist Hospital
- Generic Part-time – 8 semesters
- Transition Option Full-time – 3 semesters
- Transition Option Part-time – 6 semesters
- Accelerated Option – 3 semesters
Program Admission Requirements
A total of 72 credits is required for an Associate of Science in Nursing degree. Forty-two of those must consist of credits in the nursing program.
The only course which may be taken concurrently with the nursing program is: CGS1060C, however it is stronger recommended that students complete it prior to being admitted. Students may meet this graduation requirement with the successful completion of the Computer Skills Placement (CSP) Exam. This requirement may also be completed for students with an AA degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution recognized by MDC.
Note: It is advisable that students complete this course prior to their first semester in the School of Nursing.
- All nursing options are competitive admission.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 required
- Natural Science GPA of 2.0 required
- No more than 2 total grades of D, F, or W in natural science courses required for admission
- No more than 1 enrollment with a grade of D, F, or W in any individual natural science course required for admission
- Composite score of > 60% on the ATI TEAS entrance exam
- BSC2085/L and BSC2086/L courses must be completed within the past 10 years
- Cumulative GPA, Natural Science GPA, and Composite Entrance Exam Scores will be weighted at 33.333% each in the calculation of the student’s ranking for admission purposes
- All admissions requirements, including course work and entrance exam must be completed prior to submission of application
Note: The Accelerated and Transition options have additional requirements. Visit the respective program option websites for additional information.
Nursing Program Application Information
Complete Prerequisites and follow these steps:
- Apply in-person only at MDC Medical Campus – New Student Center (room 1113)
- Students are required to meet with an advisor to submit an application
- Students must have all of the admission requirements met prior to turning in an application
- $25 application fee per nursing option
- Deadline dates to apply:
- May 1st – Fall Admission (August):
- Generic - Full-time
- Generic - Part-time
- Transition Option- Full-time & Blended
- Accelerated Option
- September 1st – Spring Admission (January):
- Generic - Full-time
- Transition Option - Full-time & Blended
- Transition Option - Part-time
- Accelerated Option
Note: Students applying for the Generic Full-Time program DO NOT choose which campus they will attend (Medical or Homestead) the campus for admission is assigned to them based on space availability and student's address on record with the College at the time of application. Students accepted to the Transitional/Bridge Full-time option choose face-to-face or online based on space availability.