Grants (Gift Aid)

In general, these grants do not have to be repaid if the student abides by all of the terms and conditions of the award.

All federal grants are awarded to students based on financial need. The amount of the grant depends on several factors, such as:

  • Cost of attendance
  • Expected family contribution
  • Enrollment status (full-time students generally receive more aid)
  • Whether you attend for a full academic year or less

Below are examples of some Grants (Gift Aid) offered:

Pell grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid. They are generally only awarded to undergraduate students, though in some cases, they are awarded to students enrolled in post-baccalaureate teacher certificate programs. The total amount of aid you receive will not affect your Pell Grant amount. You will always receive the full amount of your Pell Grant award.

FSEOG are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need – those with the lowest expected family contribution. Pell grant recipients receive priority for FSEOG awards.

FSEOG can vary depending on the total amount of aid you are receiving, so that receiving other aid might reduce the amount of your FSEOG award.

Once FSEOG funding has been depleted, no further grants will be awarded. Even if you have qualified for an FSEOG, you are not guaranteed to receive one. Because of this, it is important to apply as early as possible.

To qualify for the FSEOG grant, you must be eligible to receive a Pell Grant.

You may be eligible for this grant if you are completing course work needed to become a teacher. In exchange for the grant, you must sign an "Agreement to Serve" as a full-time teacher at certain low-income schools and within certain high-need fields for at least a total of four academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.

If you receive the grant (up to $4,000 annually) and fail to carry out the terms of the agreement, the grant amounts received are treated as an unsubsidized direct loan and must be repaid with interest.

To apply for a TEACH Grant, you must:

  • Fill out the FAFSA
  • Have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 out of 4.00
  • Enroll in an eligible program
    • BS-Secondary Mathematics Education (S4200)
    • BS-Secondary Science Education Biology (S4100)
    • BS-Secondary Science Education Chemistry (S4101)
    • BS-Secondary Science Education Earth & Science (S4102)
    • BS-Secondary Science Education Physics (S4103)
    • BS- Exceptional Student Education K-12 (S9260)
  • Undertake initial counseling and subsequent annual counseling
  • TEACH Grant Request
  • Sign an agreement to serve
  • Be currently completing, or intend to complete, course work necessary to begin a teaching career.

High-need fields that fulfill the terms of the "Agreement to Serve" include mathematics, science, foreign language, bilingual education and English language acquisition, special education. For more information, visit The Department of Education's TEACH grant page.

The Office of Student Financial Assistance State Programs, part of the Florida Department of Education, maintains several educational state-funded grants and scholarships. In addition, you'll also find a wealth of information concerning student financial assistance.

Learn more about State Grants and Scholarships.