Miami Dade College (MDC) is implementing Miami Codes, a project to increase the number of minority students with app development skills for iOS, with support from Apple. Through its Community Education Initiative, Apple will cover tuition, fees, certification, and transportation costs that will allow Miami-Dade County residents to concentrate on their education without the burden of financial hardships. In addition, Apple provided its hardware and technology for implementation of the app development with Swift courses at MDC West Campus.
Miami Codes will implement multiple pathways to expose, teach and certify students in app development with Swift at no cost. The academic offerings will include three options:
- Swift curriculum content from Apple will be integrated into the iOS app development courses currently part of MDC’s School of Engineering and Technology’s Mobile App Development degree. Tuition, fees and certification cost for the courses will be covered for Miami-Dade County residents.
- Upskilling courses through MDC’s School of Continuing Education for underrepresented minorities looking to become Swift programmers. Participants in the four-month course will be able to create iOS apps that adhere to standard practices.
- Summer camp for high school students to explore iOS app development using Apple’s Swift Playgrounds and its Everyone Can Create guide, designed to ignite creativity and collaboration in coding.
Fill out the Interest Form to be the first one to know when the courses are open for enrollment.
WHAT DOES APPLE PROVIDE?
- Train-the-trainer for college faculty to get certified in App Development with Swift.
- Tuition, fees, certification and transportation costs for Miami-Dade County residents registered in the iOS App Development courses at MDC.
- Hardware and technology for implementation of the App Development with Swift courses at MDC West Campus.
WHAT SKILLS DO STUDENTS GAIN?
Students will learn App Development with Swift, a powerful and intuitive programming language for iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS. Students will be encouraged to build their apps using the Challenge Based Learning and the Challenge for Change frameworks to solve real-world challenges that make an impact on the local community.
Social Career Growth Skills
Students will also learn about the impact of computing and apps on society, economies, and cultures while exploring iOS app development. Students in will also be exposed to the Everyone Can Create model from Apple to ignite creativity and collaboration in coding.
Office: West Campus